EDUCATING OUR PATIENTS
We believe our patients should be informed. It is important to us that our patients have the resources to learn more about the benefit as well as the risks associated with their chosen skin care treatment.
LEVULAN KERASTICK ACTINIC KERATOSIS
Up to 58 million Americans have actinic keratosis (AK). An AK has the potential to progress to squamous cell carcinoma (SCC), the second most common skin cancer. While most AKs remain benign, approximately 10 percent develop into SCC within an average of two years.1 Since there is no way to know ahead of time which ones will become cancerous, it is very important to seek a dermatologist’s care. Frequent skin examinations are the key to early detection and prevention
The LEVULAN KERASTICK for Topical Solution plus blue light illumination using the BLU-U Blue Light Photodynamic Therapy Illuminator is indicated for the treatment of minimally to moderately thick actinic keratosis of the face or scalp.
CHANGING LIVES DAILY
Patients are becoming more aware of the harmful effects of UV radiation from the sun, and sunscreen is now being widely used. Sunscreens can prevent sunburn, reduce your risk of getting skin cancer, and help prevent early signs of skin aging. With so many to choose from, patients often ask what to look for in picking the right sunscreen.
Thanks to new FDA guidelines, companies who manufacture sunscreen now have to follow rules regarding testing and labeling their products.This allows you, the consumer to be better informed of what you are buying
SUNSCREEN SELECTION TIPS
Before you buy, consider the tips below
1. Choose a sunscreen that contains either Zinc, Titanium, or both. Must be SPF 30 or higher
2. Avoid the sun during peak daylight hours (typically from 10 AM to 4 PM
3. Do not get burned. Every sunburn ages you and increases your risk of getting skin cancer
4. Avoid using tanning beds
5. Keep your skin covered with clothing and a wide-brimmed hat
6. Apply sunscreen 30 minutes before sun exposure
7. Re-apply sunscreen every 2 hours, or immediately after swimming or excessive sweating
8. Perform monthly skin checks
9. See your dermatologist once a year for a skin cancer screening
Over the Counter: Neutrogena with Helioplex, Aveeno Baby, Aveeno Mineral Block, Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Mosturizer SPF30; Medical-Grade: Skinceuticals, Elta MD Sport